Sunday, August 23, 2015

Day Two Morning Session Quotes - IAAF World Championships

Day Two Morning Session Quotes - IAAF World Championships

8/22/2015
 
Men's Shot Put - Qualifying
Reese Hoffa
“Today was easy, one and done. I got through it and did what I needed to do. Now it’s just time to rest and gear up for the final.”

Christian Cantwell
“That long process, 12 guys, throw outside, inside.  For me, I’m like an old diesel truck. I have to get warmed up and stay warmed up. Getting older is kind of harder. It only takes one, I knew I was going to do it, it was just a matter of when.”

Jordan Clarke
“It was the worst meet of the year. It was my first World Champs, I had a really good practice and training coming up to this point. I’m very disappointed, but at the same time very happy that I got an experience under my belt. Hopefully the next time I get to this kind of meet, I’ll be prepared for it.”

Women's 400mH - Qualifying
Cassandra Tate
“I was in lane 2, so I was able to see everyone. I wanted to get out really hard, try to relax and do what I need to do to get through in the home stretch, in order to finish and be in front and win my heat.”

Kori Carter
“The race was a little sloppy. I was alternating over hurdle two which I really didn’t want to do. I was basically supposed to go sixteen all the way around. To alternate, to be a little sloppy, was a little mental something. But when I came home, I still had a lot of legs under me, I feel fine. So, I just had to just make sure I had a spot. I’ll come back tomorrow and clean it up.”

Shamier Little
“I just had to make sure that I set it up. If I set it up, the end was just going to come to me. It didn’t come to me like I wanted it to, but it could have been a lot worse than if I didn’t set it up. I’m happy that I set it up and I’m glad I made it to the next round. I didn’t want to press too much for it, I didn’t think I was going to make up that much ground.”

Men's 400m - Qualifying
David Verburg
“My goal was just to get out well, to 300 and see where I was at. I was able to look around and then just bring it in easy.”

LaShawn Merritt
‘It felt good. I handled business like I was supposed to in the first round. I was a little conservative, but just enough to win. I know what to do in these championships.”

Vernon Norwood
“I wasn’t aggressive my first 200. It caused me to work coming home. My next race, I just have to execute a better race in the beginning so I won’t have to work so much harder coming home.  But it was a lot of nerves going through my first championships, so I’m glad that’s over with. I’ve got my confidence up so I can just move forward now.

Bryshon Nellum
“I had lane 8, so I had to run my own race. I didn’t have to wait for anybody, or wait for anyone to make their move. I just got out and maintained. I worked the curve and finished home.”

Women's 100m - Qualifying
Tori Bowie
“Today, I wanted to stay relaxed. This is my first major championships and I came out here extremely nervous today. I had to constantly tell myself to relax, focus, do what you’ve been doing in training. My main goal was to try to execute the first 20 meters of my race because everyone knows it’s my weakness, it’s been my weakness. And I’ve worked really hard the past two weeks to try to correct it.”

Jasmine Todd
“I was definitely just making sure I get through the rounds.  I felt comfortable enough in my position to just kind of shut it down kind of early so I’m not using too much energy trying to make it into the final after semis.”

“Best start in the world (laughter).  It’s (the start) always been the not-so-good part of my race. I’m still young. I have a great finish, so I just have to go with what I have right now.”

English Gardner
“Honestly, today was the first time in three days I got in the blocks. I was a little nervous about that. I was trying to see if I was going to still execute after not practicing that much. I went out there and my start, to me, was okay. I haven’t seen the video yet. I’ll probably be beating up on myself. It wasn’t my best as I thought it could be. I had to work a little bit to get back, I was a little behind. By the time 60 meters came in, I kind of checked up and made sure the position I was in was just enough to get in the semis.

“In my first championships in 2013, I was kind of a loose cannon. I went out 10.92 into a headwind. I was kind of a little kid in a candy store. This time I tried be a little more mature and continue to beast a little bit. I think it worked a little bit and I continue to check up on where I was position-wise. I felt like the first/last 30 meters I was looking over and was like ‘wait, I got it.’”


No comments: