Saturday, February 28, 2015

Berkeley 69, Freedom 68

Freedom High School
Oakley, California
Friday, Feb. 27, 2015

I drove from my home in Pleasanton via Vasco Road to Oakley for the NCS playoff basketball game.

The afternoon light illuminated the huge white wind turbines to the east.  http://www.nexteraenergyresources.com/pdf_redesign/vasco.pdf

Oakley is a city in Contra Costa County, California, United States. It is within the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area. The population was 35,432 at the 2010 U.S. Census.  Wikipedia

NCS playoffs
Division I
Tuesday's first round Feb. 24, 2015
Freedom 74, No. 13 Pittsburg (16-11) 70
Berkeley 56, No. 12 College Park (22-7) 49
Friday's quarterfinals
No. 5 Berkeley (18-9) at No. 4 Freedom (18-9), 7pm

Berkeley (19-9)
Freedom (18-10)
Berkeley 18 21 17 13--69
Freedom 24 17 14 13--68

It was a very exciting, fast-paced, and spirited game.  It was very noisy in the gym.

Nick Evans (Freedom) was the leading scorer with 24 points.

I only recognized two people.  Retired Berkeley Police Officer Meisner is now helping coach at Berkeley High School.  We met back in the 1980's when I was part of a neighborhood effort in West Berkeley to discourage street prostitution on University of Avenue.  The other was Matt Schwab of the Bay Area News Group, who sat behind me.  He has covered high school sports in the East Bay for many years.

I wore my old red sweat shirt with Berkeley High School yellow letters.  I retired from teaching at Berkeley High School in June 1998.  I continued coaching cross country through the 1999 season, then we sold our home at 2235 Browning Street in Berkeley and moved to Vacaville.  We moved to Pleasanton last year.  So now I'm back in the North Coast Section of the CIF.

No comments: