Saturday, July 13, 2013

Relays Advance to Finals from Morning Session at World Youth


7/13/2013

DONETSK, UKRAINE - Team USA advanced both the men’s and women’s medley relays to the finals during a short morning of qualifying rounds at the IAAF World Youth Championships.

In the first round of the women’s medley relay, Team USA won the third heat in a world leading time of 2:07.13, surpassing the previous lead of 2:07.85 established by Jamaica in the prior heat. Chyna Ries (Denver, Colo.) ran the lead leg of 100m, followed by Ky Westbrook (Chandler, Ariz.) in the 200m. Olivia Baker (South Orange, N.J.) ran the 300m leg, and Raevyn Rogers (Houston, Texas) anchored the 400m leg.

The men’s relay team won the third heat in a time of 1:52.19 to secure their place in the final. Jaalen Jones (Maylene, Ala.) opened with the 100m leg, then Noah Lyles (Charlotte, N.C.) pulled ahed of the field during the 200m. Ryan Clark (College Park, Ga.) took the 300m leg, while, Taylor McLaughlin (Dunellen, N.J.) ran the 400m anchor. Team USA clocked the second fastest time of the day, only behind Japan who ran 1:52.18 in the first heat.

In the women’s heptathlon, Alexa Harmon-Thomas (Lawrence, Kan.) leapt to a personal best of 5.87m/19-3.25 to record 810 points in the long jump. She now sits in 5th with 4,085 after five events.

In the women’s long jump qualification, Courtney Corrin (Playa Vista, Calif.) only took one jump to surpass the automatic qualifying mark. Her leap of 6.31m/20-8.5 was the farthest mark of the day. Kenturah Orji (Budd Lake, N.J.) took two attempts to hit the qualifying mark. Orji had the second best jump of the day in 6.25m/20-6.25.

Reno Tuufuli (Las Vegas, Nev.) punched his ticket to the final of the men’s discus. On his final attempt, Tuufuli launched the disc 57.35m/188-2 to record the 10th best throw of the day.. Amir Ali Patterson (Encino, Calif.) finished 8th in the first qualification group with his best throw of 54.67m/179-4.

For complete results of the 2013 IAAF World Championships, visit www.IAAF.org. With no finals during the morning’s competition, Team USA still stands atop the medal count with ten from the past two days. Competition resumes Saturday afternoon at 5:00 p.m. local time.

ATHLETE QUOTES

Girls Medley Relay
Chyna Ries (Denver, Colo.), 100m
“It was good. All we focused on all week was getting the stick around. I just wanted to run a good leg and set the race for the other girls.”

Ky Westbrook (Chandler, Ariz.), 200m
‘It was way different with the straight bing first. I’m glad we got this semi so I could get the feel of it, and hopefully tomorrow we’ll be even better.”

Olivia Baker (South Orange, N.J.), 300m
“That was interesting for me. I’ve never run an outdoor 300m before, but I liked it. I just got out there and sprinted the whole thing, and I’m glad I could get the feel for it.

Raevyn Rogers (Houston, Texas), 400m
“It was good. It was fun being with the team, and they put me in a good position. The vibe went around from handoff to handoff. It was great.”

Boys Medley Relay, round 1
Jaalen Jones (Maylene, Ala.), 100m
“I felt like I didn’t get out of the blocks too well, but you know we’ll be back for the final tomorrow, and we’ve got work to do. I’ll be more comfortable tomorrow and we’ll do even better when we’re back.”

Noah Lyles (Charlotte, N.C.), 200m
“Actually I couldn’t feel the difference with the straight being first. I knew eventually I’d run a turn and it didn’t matter which order they were in, I just gave it my all.”

Ryan Clark (College Park, Ga.), 300m
“It felt good. I got out really well. I just had to finish strong, so I’m glad we made it to the finals tomorrow.”

Taylor McLaughlin (Dunellen, N.J.), 400m
“It felt pretty good. You know it was my first 400 in a while. I haven’t run it since outdoor nationals, but it was exciting to just come out and run the four. It’s probably my last of the season. I hope I ran a good time.”

Amir Ali Patterson, men’s discus, qualification A
“I’m pretty disappointed with my disc, but then I’m happy I was at least able to throw. I got a hole in my hand earlier this week, so it’s just up to Reno now. It was a love-hate relationship. I’m blessed I was able to make the team, and I wish I could have done more for them.”

Reno Tuufuli, men’s discus, qualification B
“When I saw my third throw land, I was hoping it was past the qualification line, but it was right below it. I was hoping it was at least over 56m, but I threw 57.34m, and I was so relieved. This morning I definitely could have warmed up better. I was just hesitating. Tonight for the finals I’m going to warm up way better. I’m very thankful that I made it to the finals.”

Kenturah Orji, women’s long jump qualification A
“Yes, I was hoping to get it in one. I was really close in my first jump, but I had to take two. I thought I would be more sore today, but right now I’m feeling okay.”




Katie Branham
Marketing & Communications Manager
USA Track & Field
317.713.4672
e-mail

No comments: