Friday, July 24, 2015

July 24 Morning Session Quotes - Pan American Games

July 24 Morning Session Quotes - Pan American Games

7/24/2015
 
David Oliver, 110mH gold medalist and new Pan American Games record holder

“It’s a major deal. At 33 years of age, I had turned down coming to the Pan Am Games a couple times in the past, and I was going to take advantage of it this time. I targeted the Pan American Games record as a goal I wanted to achieve here, and I was glad I was able to achieve that goal.”

“I don’t worry about it. Just tell me what time I need to be ready to go again, and I’ll be ready to rock. I’m an 11-year veteran on this circuit, and you have to be able to refocus when things aren’t exactly ideal, and I was able to do that and run a good time.”

“I’ve never done it before, so of course there is a little bit of , ‘Aw man. I’ve never done this before,’ but today I’m fit. It’s late July, and World Championships are in a month’s time for me, so fitness isn’t a problem. I do simulations like that in training - do an all-out effort, have a walk-back recovery and then have to do it all over again over hurdles. I know I’ll be ready to go.”

“My legs did feel heavy in that final. I know I knocked down like three or four hurdles or something like that. You just have to do what you have to do to win. That’s the ultimate goal in this sport: it’s to win, and I’m a Pan Am Games Champion and record holder this year.”

“That’s the ultimate goal: I want to be a U.S. Champion, Pan Am Games Champion, World Champion and the Diamond League Champion, so I still have two more of those goals to go.”

Gia Lewis-Smallwood, Discus bronze medalist

“I’m happy. This was a phenomenal field, so to come away third was huge.”

“The Pan Am Games is this amazing experience from the village, the food, the way everything is laid out is so similar to going to a Games. You actually feel like you’re at an Olympic Games. It’s just a great, great experience that makes a world of difference in our sport.”

”My coach and I came out and wanted to put together somewhat of a decent series here, and we did. I’m pleased with the way things have progressed. I just returned from Diamond League Monaco last week, and to come here and throw what I threw, I am very please.”

Men’s 4x400m Relay

James Harris, first leg

“I didn’t get out as hard as I should have, but I confused myself because I made up stagger much sooner than I usually do. I came through handing off for first place, so that’s always good. I’ve just got to stick with my race plan and not worry about who I run up on and who runs up on me. But I’m happy about today; we’re on to the next level.”

Jeshua Anderson, second leg

“I felt like I ran well. All we needed to do was qualify for finals, so I was blessed to be able to run with these guys and it’s always a pleasure to be on a Team USA for whatever I’m running, the 4x4 or the 400-meter hurdles.”

Marcus Chambers, third leg


“I think I had a good leg. I tried to make sure that I was in first place when I gave the baton to Kyle so that he could finish out. We just wanted to win and take first place and move on to tomorrow. That’s when we’ll give it all we’ve got and see what happens.”

Kyle Clemons, anchor

“We had some fresh legs on the squad, so we really just needed to get out front, and we wanted to place first and second in our heat to guarantee a spot for tomorrow. We did what we came to do and got me out front. So for the last 100-150, I could just cruise it in, and that’s what happened. I couldn’t have asked for a better result.”

Women’s 4x400m Relay

Shakima Wimbley, third leg
“I saw that my other teammates had given me a great lead and they did an awesome job, so I just wanted to continue it. I just got the stick and wanted to finish it off and hand it to Kendal. I knew she would bring it home.”

Kendall Baisden, anchor

I know Shamier and Shakima because we’ve been running with each other since last year, and we have confidence in each other. I knew they were going to do what they needed to do to get me out in front, and I knew that if they were in front doing all the dirty work that I was just trying finish. Alysia Montano did a great job with the second leg, which really put us out there, so I just really had to bring it home.”


Christa Mann
Marketing & Communications Manager
USA Track & Field
317.713.4672
e-mail

No comments: