Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 3 Team USA quotes from Doha

Day 3 Team USA quotes from Doha

Erin Donohue, women's' 1500m final

"I wanted to start moving at 500m. I moved up to fourth or fifth with 1000m to go. I tried to follow Burka and got boxed in and couldn't get out. Sixth place and a personal best, I'm pretty happy with that."



Galen Rupp, men's 3000m final



"My goal was just to sit back, be as relaxed as I could be, close at the end and finish hard. I'm still getting there, I'm not at the top level yet. But I'm better than last year so I am getting there."



Alysia Johnson, women's 800m bronze medalist



"Amazing. I just tried to go after it. I was going for gold. I wanted to push myself and make it happen. I'm so happy, so, so happy right now."



Bernard Lagat, men's 3000m gold medalist



"My kids woke up at 7 am in the morning to watch their daddy. So I needed to show them something. I did exactly what my coach told me to do. During the last lap I felt a lot of energy from the crowd. I missed a lot since 2007 so I'm back. It felt so good for me. You're going to see me for a long time. I can see myself running for a lot longer.



I was expecting it to be faster, 28, 29 (per lap), but it was nothing like that.



This is the best team I have ever been on. We're all together, sprinters, jumpers, distance. And the organization has done a great job."



Jillian Camarena, women's shot put final



"It started really rough. My first three throws were rough and I was in ninth. I just had to go after it and each throw kept getting better. I knew it was there I just had to let it happen."




Brittney Reese, women's long jump gold medalist



"Hard. I just wanted to come out and try to win. I was expecting 6.80m or 6.90m but 6.70 will have to do. I'm so excited for my second world title. "



Debbie Dunn, women's 4x400m gold medalist - 1st leg



"It was tough (running 4 400s in three days). We came out to win though and I'm glad we did. We're a great team and we ran hard."



Allyson Felix, women's 4x400m gold medalist - anchor



"It was ok. My teammates made it easy for me. I wanted to run smooth and clean and get the win."



Carmelita Jeter, women's 60m bronze medalist



"I needed to be closer, I was too far out. I'm happy to be on the podium. I had a great start, transitioned well, I just didn't have it."




David Oliver, men's 60mH bronze medalist



"It's great to run a personal best. I'm not an indoor hurdler, more an outdoor guy. Getting bronze is great. I'm ecstatic."



Terrence Trammell, men's 60mH silver medalist



"I'm a little indifferent with the race. Glad it was a personal best. I really thought coming off the last hurdle that I had it but I lost control and it cost me. I still had a personal best, tied the American record. I felt a little pressure towards the end but I never felt outside myself. The highlight of the meet for me is the personal best. Coming in I felt like I could run between 7.26 and 7.28. Close but no cigar."



Dusty Jonas, men's high jump bronze medalist



"I'm happy with the result. I've been working so hard since last year. This is my best result ever so obviously something was going right so I can't complain. It was an awesome competition. It was great to medal in the first final I made."



Tavaris Tate, men's 4x400m gold medalist - 3rd leg



"It was great, I executed my leg. My main objective was to get Bershawn (Jackson) the stick in first place. It's been an honor to represent Team USA and my country."



Bershawn Jackson, men's 4x400m gold medalist - anchor



"I'm beat up, tired. I strained my hamstring a little. Every time I pushed, I felt it tug a little and I didn't want to jeopardize the gold so I backed off a little."





About USA Track & Field

USA Track & Field (USATF) is the National Governing Body for track and field, long-distance running and race walking in the United States. USATF encompasses the world's oldest organized sports, some of the most-watched events of Olympic broadcasts, the #1 high school and junior high school participatory sport and more than 30 million adult runners in the United States.

For more information on USATF, visit www.usatf.org

No comments: