Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 2 Team USA quotes from Doha

Day 2 Team USA quotes from Doha

Jillian Camarena, women's shot put qualifying



"I'm wonderful. I felt really good. I knew if I could get squared away I would be ok. One and done. I'm so excited for the final tomorrow. I don't think I've ever been one and done in international competition before."



Michelle Carter, women's shot put qualifying



"It wasn't too bad. I have to work on my timing, been more patient in the middle of the ring. It's early for me. I haven't competed this early in a while. At least I had a season PR. "



Tavaris Tate, men's 4x400m qualifying - 3rd leg



"LeJerald (Betters) gave me a little step. I just wanted to get Kerron (Clement) the stick in first. Coming into World seniors I knew I had to step up my game because I'm not running against kids anymore."



Kerron Clement, men's 4x400m qualifying - anchor



"Good, it felt really good. Very relaxed. I'm having fun."



Duane Solomon, men's 800m semifinal



"I felt comfortable but I kept getting clipped and I'd have to go around people to get back in it. It just wasn't a smooth race. I wanted to sit and kick this time, and not lead. I was in second coming off the final turn and I got bumped again and it pushed me back. It was too hard to come back after that."



Brianna Glenn, women's long jump qualifying



"The runway was super hard. It was a little different, there was no bounce. So different from Albuquerque at Indoor Nationals. I'm disappointed because I know I was there."



Brittney Reese, women's long jump qualifying



"Rough. I had two scratches that I know were automatic (qualifiers). So tomorrow I just have to make sure about my steps. The runway was fast. I was shocked there were no automatic qualifiers. I just had to put myself in a position where I knew I would get in the final."



Trey Hardee, men's heptathlon silver medalist



"I felt like Bryan (Clay) had it. I was happy. I was running to try and keep my lead (over third). I'm just happy to be healthy. This is my first World Indoor Championships."



Bryan Clay, men's heptathlon gold medalist



"I'm so happy with the win. I came back hungry this year. I'm 15 pounds lighter right now, which is great for me."



Desiree Davila, women's 3,000m final



"It was awesome, the crowd was crazy. It was a good learning experience. It was definitely different than prelims, more technical. This was a good learning experience."



Hyleas Fountain, women's heptathlon AMERICAN RECORD



"It went ok. I'm just really tired. I had some good PRs in two events. It's a take and give with multis. Some days it's all on and some days it's not. I'm tired, it was a long day. It's all a matter of pushing though when you're tired. I gave it everything I had.



It feels great to get the record. I didn't put pressure on myself this time."



Debbie Dunn, women's 400m gold medalist



"My main focus was to be aggressive, get to the break first and let them come and get me. I'm very happy with the win. This is my first world individual title. I'm very, very happy."



Garrett Heath, men's 1,500m final



"It was up and down. It was alright. I was where I wanted to be but I didn't feel as good as I wanted. It was awesome to make the final on my first team. That was the goal so I accomplished that. I'm a little disappointed with my race but overall I'm happy."



Jamaal Torrance, men's 400m bronze medalist



"Bumpy race, you know how it is. It is what it is. This is my first individual medal but me and Bat (Bershawn Jackson) had a plan coming in. Off the final turn though it was bumpy and we got caught up."



Derek Miles, men's pole vault final



"Cursed. I don't know what it is. I've jumped that height 71 times before and I couldn't do it today. The stars didn't line up for me, I guess."



Christian Cantwell, men's shot put gold medalist



"It was good. Anytime you win, it's good. It's fun to win at the end but stressful too. I couldn't quite hold my second throw and it was out there. I'm only three throws away from overtaking John Godina for most throws over 21 meters."



Lolo Jones, women's 60m hurdles gold medalist AMERICAN RECORD



"Excited is an understatement. I can't believe what I just did, American record, Championship record, first woman to ever win the hurdles back-to-back. It's unbelievable. Because I lost at USA's, that fired me up to come out here and win. I don't even remember the race. I remember at the third hurdle, realizing I was winning and all I could think was don't hit a hurdle!"



Trell Kimmons, men's 60m final



"I had a bad start but it was ok. I'm satisfied with my race. I'll deal with taking fourth."



Mike Rodgers, men's 60m silver medalist



"I did the best I could. I tightened up over the last five meters. Man, I got out good. I ran the best I could. It was probably the best race I ran all year."



Chaunte Lowe, women's high jump bronze medalist



"After yesterday, I went home to my room and said 'Jesus, I need your help to get over this bar tomorrow.' And he must have heard me. I felt amazing. Having Gwen (Wentland, women's jumps coach) here helped me. Coming to a meet with a coach was awesome. She was saying the same things as my coach (Nat Page). My goal for outdoors is to be able to compete with Blanka (Vlasic)."

About USA Track & Field

No comments: