Friday, August 16, 2013

U.S. Women Run Through Rounds at World Championships


8/15/2013

MOSCOW - Team USA made it through the opening rounds of the women’s 200m and 800m races smoothly, with three women advancing in the 800, and four in the 200m on Thursday’s morning session at Luzhniki Olympic Stadium.

The World Championships boast nearly 50 hours of television coverage in the U.S. with broadcasts airing during all nine days of competition. View the complete broadcast schedule here.

All three Team USA women advanced in the women’s 800m opening round. With the fastest opening time ever by an American in the first round at World championships, Brenda Martinez, (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.) won heat one crossing the tape in 1:59.39. Alysia Montaňo (Canyon Country, Calif.) led from the gun to win heat two in 1:59.47 and 19-year-old Ajeé Wilson (Neptune, N.J.) held on for third in heat three at 2:00.00.

Team USA went four-for-four in the women’s 200m, advancing a full complement of sprinters to the semifinals. Reigning Olympic champion and three-time world champion Allyson Felix (Los Angeles, Calif.) had an easy time with her first round, clocking 22.59 to win heat six with the fastest time from all seven sections. Kimberlyn Duncan (Baton Rouge, La.) also crossed the line first, taking the first heat at 22.84.

Reigning Diamond League champion Charonda Williams (Richmond, Calif.) was second in the second heat at 22.83, while Jeneba Tarmoh (San Jose, Calif.) ran a strong first 50 and then held on for the third automatic qualifying spot in the final heat, finishing at 22.88.

Ryan Whiting (Port Matilda, Pa.), Reese Hoffa (Athens, Ga.) and Cory Martin (Opelika, Ala.) will represent the U.S. in the men’s shot put final. Whiting had a short morning in qualifying as he blasted a 21.51m/70-7 on his opening throw to automatically qualify for the final. Olympic bronze medalist Hoffa hit 20.42m/67-0 on his final attempt to qualify for the final, and Martin twice had throws of 20.18m/66-2.5 to move on. Zack Lloyd (Redding, Calif.) hit 18.63m/61-1.5 on his third attempt and did not advance

Olympic silver medalist Brigetta Barrett, (Tucson, Ariz.) had to sweat out two misses at her opening height of 1.83m/6-0 before clearing it on her third try. She then eased over 1.88m/6-2 and 1.92m/6-3.5 on her first attempts to advance to the 13-woman final. Inika McPherson (Las Vegas, Nev.) cleared on her third attempt at 1.83 and made 1.88m/6-2 on her second before failing three times at 1.92m/6-3.5 and missing out on the final.

Riley Dolezal, (Stanley, N.D.) was the sole U.S. man in the javelin, but did not advance to the final after a 78.75m/258-4 on his second throw

For more information on Team USA at the IAAF World Championships, visit www.USATF.org. Live results and startlists are available at www.IAAF.org.

Athlete Quotes
Brigetta Barrett, women’s high jump qualification
“The first bar was stressful. Two misses and I made it on the third attempt. The mondo is really fast so I had to learn to adjust. I had to adjust my step back a foot and a half. I made it was able to step back and breathe. It was the first time all year I had to experience that feeling. It hit me so hard, I didn’t know what to do.”

Ineka McPherson, women’s high jump qualification
“I needed to be more consistent in my approach to the bar. It just didn’t go well.”


Brenda Martinez, women’s 800m first round
"I was just trying to feel the pace. I think I went by [the first 200m] at like 28, so I was trying not to get too excited, but I had to learn to be patient, especially in the 800, that's kind of what you have to do. You have to get that sense of pace, and I feel like I did that today. The plan was just to race to win, I didn't want to take chances and go for second or third and have someone come out there and take that spot, so I really wanted to make sure I came in like that."

Alysia Montano, women’s 800m first round
"I've got to recover and get to the next round. This is not the part. The part is three days from now in the final. I feel good."

Ajee Wilson, women’s 800m first round
"The goal was just to stay three, no worse than fourth. I think we got out and I might have been in fourth or fifth, so I just focused on getting relaxed and coming through the 400 and getting in a good space. So that come the 300 when everyone went, I'd be prepared. The last 200, I just gave it all I had to make the team. I looked up at the screen and I saw they were coming, so I knew I couldn't shut down, because I usually do that. I'm glad I stuck it through."

Reese Hoffa, men’s shot put qualification
“It was like any normal qualifying. You’re going to have one superstar, that was Ryan (Whiting) out there. I knew it wasn’t going to take much to get through, I think I threw 20.83 on the first attempt, I could have stopped, but I haven’t been throwing in those rings. I thought I might as well get something out of it. I took all three throws, so I wasn’t worried about it.”

Ryan Whiting, men’s shot put qualification
“I did exactly what I've been training to do. Planned on doing it on the first throw. It was probably the easiest throw I've taken all season. I didn't expect to throw so easy."

Zack Lloyd, men’s shot put qualification
“It was rough. I haven't been practicing well, so I didn’t compete well.”


Cory Martin, men’s shot put qualification
“I qualified, I made it through to my first World Outdoor championship, so that was kind of a big deal. I made it on my first throw, it was kind of low, I didn’t know if that was going to take it. I thought I might need to step it up (so I kept throwing).”

Allyson Felix, women’s 200m first round
“It was nice to finally get out there. I just wanted to work the turn a little bit and focus in on the start and ease in comfortably.”

Jeneba Tarmoh, women’s 200m first round
“It went pretty well, I did everything Bobby told me to do: run an aggressive turn, set it up right and stay relaxed coming home.”

Charonda Williams, women’s 200m first round
“It went well. I just tried win my heat. I got passed at the end, but I advanced to the next round. I’m just hoping that I can execute my race a little better tonight so I can make it to the finals.”

Kimberlyn Duncan, women’s 200m first round
“It went well. My main thing was to get out in the beginning. I did the best I could, but I feel like I could do better. I got the first round out of the way, I’m ready for the semis. I’m ready to step it up for the final.”

Riley Dolezal, men’s javelin qualification
“It was just a great experience. It is a huge stadium, and to walk out on that surface and be out there with those guys is great. Hopefully it continues on, and I’ll get my legs underneath me a little more on the next one.”



Katie Branham
Marketing & Communications Manager
USA Track & Field
317.713.4672
e-mail

No comments: