Saturday, August 17, 2013

Felix Injured In 200m Final At IAAF World Championships


Orban takes 8th in women's hammer throw; Ali advances to 100m semis


Nia Ali fought through leg cramps to advance to the women's 100m HH semifinals tomorrow.
Aug 16, 2013




Allyson Felix was injured in the women's 200m final, Eva Orban placed eighth in the women's hammer throw and Nia Ali advanced out of the first round of the women's 100m HH at the IAAF World Track and Field Championships held in Moscow, Russia today (Aug. 16).

Olympic 200m champion Allyson Felix, who had advanced to the 200m finals of the World Championships with the top qualifying time, was forced to pull up less than halfway through the final race today with right hamstring injury.

"I'm extremely devastated," Felix said in a statement. "I was really hoping to go out there and put together a great race. Now I am consulting with doctors to figure out what is going on with my right hamstring. It is a serious injury, but I don't know exactly to what extent. I wish all my teammates the best for the rest of the meet."

USA Track & Field later announced that Felix had a tear in her medial right hamstring. If she would have prevailed Friday, she would have become the career leader at the world track and field championships with nine gold medals: one ahead of her American predecessors Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson.

Orban competed for her native Hungary and placed eighth in the women's hammer throw with a top mark of 238-6 (72.70m). Orban reached the finals with a throw of 231-8 on Aug. 14. The four-time USC All-American won the 2008 NCAA hammer throw title.

Ali advanced out of the first round of the women's 100m HH with a time of 13.19. She was fourth in her heat and 20th overall. The semifinals and finals will be contested tomorrow.

"I had a pretty good start, and I feel like I'm in pretty good shape to run," said Ali. "I've just had these nagging hamstring cramps. It's just cramps, not an injury but it does hinder the speed. Mid-race it kind of got to my speed. I'm going to go to the second round. I'm going to go back and get everything worked on and get some aggressive treatment and get ready for tomorrow."

Eva Orban (Papa Veszprem, Hungary; USC 2009)









USC Track & Field

No comments: