Tuesday, August 13, 2013

5,000m Men Lead Tuesday Qualifying Action at World Championships


8/13/2013

MOSCOW — Bernard Lagat, Ryan Hill and Galen Rupp advanced to the final of the men’s 5,000m during Tuesday morning’s qualifying session, along with Erik Kynard in the men's high jump at the IAAF World Championships in Luzhniki Olympic Stadium.

The World Championships boast nearly 50 hours of television coverage in the U.S. with broadcasts airing during all nine days of competition. View the complete broadcast schedule here.

Lagat (Tuscon, Ariz.) and Hill (Hickory, N.C.) ran with the lead pack in the first heat of the 5,000m. Lagat was in qualifying position throughout the last lap, and Hill moved up on the outside of the final curve to join Lagat at the front of the pack. Lagat finished 3rd in 13:23.48, and Hill took the last automatic spot in 5th in 13:24.19. In the second heat, Rupp (Portland, Ore.) took fourth in 13:23.91 to finish fourth and secure his spot in the final.

In the women’s 20 km race walk, 2012 Olympian Maria Michta (Long Island, N.Y.) was the top U.S. finisher as she crossed the line in 1:33:51 for 34th place. Erin Gray (Lebanon, Ore.) walked to a personal best time of 1:34:38 to take 43rd. Unfortunately the day ended early for Miranda Melville (Rush, N.Y.) as she was disqualified around the 13 km mark after receiving one lifting and two bent knee violation cards.

Kynard (Toledo, Ohio) sailed over the bar at 2.26m/7-5 on first attempt, but was unable to clear as the bar raised to 2.29m/7-6. Kynard advanced to the final as he tied for 11th place out of qualifying. Dusty Jonas (Columbus, Ohio) also cleared 2.26m/7-5, but took two attempts to get over the bar and was not able to advance to the final. Reigning world champion Jesse Williams (Eugene, Ore.) will not advance to the final after he cleared 2.22m/7-3.25, nor will Keith Moffitt (Atlanta, Ga.), who was unable to clear a height.

In the women’s heptathlon, Sharon Day (Los Angeles, Calif.) dropped to seventh place (4,622 points) after the long jump, where she had a best effort of 5.79m/19-0. In group A of the javelin she threw 47.17m/154-9. Erica Bougard (Byhalia, Miss.) jumped 6.01m/19-8.75, and Bettie Wade (Manhattan, Kan.) recorded a mark of 5.61m/18-5 in the long jump. After 6 events, Bougard’s 4,392 points puts her in 20th, while Wade is in 23rd with 4,323 points. Standings will be updated after group B of the women’s javelin.

For more information on Team USA at the IAAF World Championships, visit www.USATF.org. Live results and startlists are available at www.IAAF.org.

Athlete Quotes
Bernard Lagat, men’s 5,000m round 1
“It’s easy to get caught up in that mess in there. I didn’t want to have any trouble, so I was actually running a little on the outside today. I’ve trained well in Germany, but I had a little hip problem. You know in Monaco I didn’t finish, but I now I am feeling good.”

Ryan Hill, men’s 5,000m round 1
“It was everything you hear about international races. there were guys pushing, shoving, guys falling down. I almost fell down once or twice in that race, so I’m fortunate just to get through. Now that I’ve got this USA jersey on, all I hear is medals. I’ve got myself a chance to get one, so I’m just going to go for it. I’m going to attach myself to that group, try not to get dropped and kick as hard as I can. Anything less than a medal is just making it to the final.”

Galen Rupp, men’s 5,000m round 1
“The only thing we wanted to accomplish today was to get through. I made it as easy as possible, and that is all we were thinking about. I didn’t need to sprint at the end, I was able to relax and take it in. Now it’s full steam ahead for the final.”

Erin Gray, 20 km race walk
“I went out fast I walked a personal record 45 seconds for the 10k. I just figured I had absolutely nothing to lose. I did slow down a lot. I think my second half was a whole lot slower. I was hoping to walk faster and beat Maria but its okay, next time. What's really important is that I made a valiant effort.”

Maria Mitchta, 20 km race walk
"It wasn't as magical as London but nothing could be. Putting on the USA uniform gives you that pumped up feeling. We went out super, super slow and I just sat in the back. I knew from London the girls that I raced with. I just kept them in my sights. We started hitting 4:38s and I just kept saying 'stay back, stay back. I fell I back. But I just went for it with 5k to go. It's my second fastest to ever performance, second to London. I’m really happy with my performance today

Miranda Melville, 20 km race walk
“I don’t know what I did wrong, so it is just a little difficult to take right now. I had one call for lifting, and two calls for bent knee, and I’ve never had a bent knee problem ever, so I’m a little frazzled right now.”

Erik Kynard, Men’s High Jump qualification
“It was a long, frustrating day. I was the last one to make it through, which is odd. I didn’t clear 2.29 which is odd. I got a missed jump for being in the bathroom even though (I thought) I checked out with the official, which is odd. It was an odd day. I was still able to do enough to make it through so I’ll have to pull a Britney Reese I guess.”

Dusty Jonas, Men’s High Jump qualification
“My foot’s felt a little bit shaky all day. I hit a few jumps but I was inconsistent. Coming back from being on my couch last year, I know I should be happy I’m here. But I expect more than that. I gave it all I had today and what I had wasn’t good enough.”

Jesse Williams, Men’s High Jump qualification
“I’ve had an injury, I just haven’t been able to overcome it. That’s been the story of my year. In a way, I’m relieved that the season is done and that I can get healthy. I can start training hard. If this isn’t motivation, then I’ll never get it. That was really difficult, this and the entire year. “




Katie Branham
Marketing & Communications Manager
USA Track & Field
317.713.4672
e-mail

No comments: