Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Wariner withdraws from World Championships

Jeremy Wariner has confirmed he will not compete for Team USA at the 2011 IAAF World Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Daegu, South Korea, due to a foot injury.

A two-time world champion (’05, ’07) and the 2004 Olympic gold medalist at 400 meters, Wariner tore a ligament in the second toe of his left foot while training in July. The injury was diagnosed this week.

“I am disappointed that I will not be able to try to regain the world title in the 400 meters in Daegu,” Wariner said in a statement. “Right now my focus is to get healthy, prepare for the 2012 season and try for my second Olympic gold medal in the 400. I wish my teammates the best in Daegu.”

USA Track & Field will announce the full Team USA roster for Daegu on Tuesday, August 9.

Source: USATF

No comments: