Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Chris Solinsky teleconference excerpts

INDIANAPOLIS - USA Track & Field on Tuesday hosted a media teleconference featuring Chris Solinsky, who set an American record Saturday in the men's 10,000 meters when he crossed the finish line in 26 minutes 59.60 seconds at the Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational at Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif.

In his first race ever at that distance, Solinsky shattered the previous American record of 27:13.98 set by Meb Keflezighi on the same track on May 4, 2001. His time is the fastest in the world so far this year.

A native of Stevens Point, Wis., Solinsky was the runner-up in the 5,000m at the 2009 USA Outdoor Championships, and a two-time NCAA Outdoor 5,000m champion while attending the University of Wisconsin. He ended the 2009 season ranked #4 in the U.S. by Track & Field News after placing 12th in that event at the 2009 World Outdoor Championships in Berlin, Germany.

Excerpts from the teleconference follow:

Q: Chris, you surprised a lot of people with your record-setting performance on Saturday. Did you surprise yourself?

A: I would say definitely. Going into it we went in just to race, and we figured we were in good shape. I guess we had no barometer. With it being my first 25 laps is was kind of hold on for dear life and whatever happens, happens. It definitely surprised me. I joked around that I could either run 26:55 or 28 minutes, and honestly I felt that 26:55 was a joke, but there was a little bit of a thought in the back of my head thinking that I could possibly be serious, but obviously everything would have to go perfectly and it kind of did.

Q: Why did you decide to make this your first 10,000m race?

A: I've been thinking about running a 10k in the spring for quite a while. I've always felt that I've been a strength runner and a lot of my training from high school on there was no structured workouts and I'd kind of get out there and just hammer myself into the ground. It wasn't the smartest thing at times, but it got me to where I am to be lucky enough to be durable and get away with some not so smart training. We were going to run a steeple actually at this meet until after one of my tempo-runs when Jerry (Coach Jerry Schumacher) decided that we'd switch it to a 10,000.

Q: The later part of the race was unchartered territory for you in a competitive race. How did you manage to keep running so well?

A: With eight laps to go or so I thought it was a possibility that I could win the race, and that was the only thing that was going through my head. Midway through the race I had a pain in my abdomen right under my ribs right in front and it ticked me off because I was feeling good. I felt in control, my legs felt comfortable and not too fatigued, and I was starting to worry that if anything was going to screw me up it was going to be this. With about six laps to go it went away and that just fired me up. The last 800 to 900 meters I was running scared because I just wanted to win the race.

Q: Word traveled fast about your accomplishment and your friends and family knew about it before you had the chance to contact them. What was that like?

A: Yeah it was crazy. I don't think I've ever had my phone blow up the way it did that night and the few days since. It's been unbelievable how much support and well wishes I've gotten. Obviously with the internet and the way everything is now word gets out quick. We had a chance to have my wife come down to watch the race, but unfortunately we thought the ticket prices were too expensive so we just passed it up. In hindsight I wish we would've just paid whatever it cost to have her come down because it would've been pretty awesome having her there.

Q: Since you had never run this race before, did it help you psychologically that there were no pre-race expectations on you?

A: Oh yeah, definitely. I said to Jerry before the race that I'm in a win-win situation. I could even have a bad race of what I thought I can do, and I would've been happy with anything under 27:30, but if I would've been at 28 minutes or 27:50 I would've been disappointed, but in the grand scheme of things I think anyone on the outside would've thought I did okay. I had no pressure and all the talk was about Galen (Rupp) going for the record and this is my first one, and there were zero expectations. I had nothing to lose and I think that helped.

Q: There are pundits out there that say you're too big to be a good distance runner. What do you think?

A: I've kind of gotten used to it because I was bigger in high school and college. Even my teammates would tease me about being a fatty, and the first thing they'd say after a race is that's probably a fatty world record (laughter). It's okay. I told my dad that nobody ever told a bumblebee he isn't supposed to fly. It's almost been a blessing because it's allowed me to be durable, being bigger and sturdier. It's been my frame that has allowed me to get away with putting in a lot of miles when someone a little more frail might fall apart.

Q: What's been the difference in your training that has brought you your recent success?

A: The biggest thing I think has been being able to run a faster tempo for a longer time. In college the longest we would do any tempo or rhythm run would be ten miles. Now we've pushed it to 15. I think kind of pushing the envelope has made me so much stronger, and being able to do it consistently and for a long period of time. Moving here to Portland (Ore.) has made it easier to log higher quality consistent mileage during winter, which has been a huge key for us.

Q: Are you in the best shape of your life?

A: Yeah, I would say that. I thought I was going to be pretty far behind coming into this winter because I was home preparing for my wedding and seeing family before Amy and I moved out here to Portland. Right now I am in the best shape of my life and I really hope to keep building on that. I don't want to rest on my laurels with this 10,000, I want to keep pushing the envelope and keep logging the miles because what I'm doing now isn't just for this year, it's for 2011 and 2012.

Q: What are your plans for the near future?

A: I think this year we'll run some 1,500s and 5ks and try to get in as many high quality races as possible. Jerry and I have discussed briefly the future in 2011 and 2012 and the 10,000, trying that for the global championships. To be honest, my heart is still is with the 5,000, and I'm going to try to accomplish what I think I can accomplish with the 5,000. I feel like I have unfinished business and I want to cap that off before I fully put my heart into the 10,000.

About USA Track & Field

USA Track & Field (USATF) is the National Governing Body for track and field, long-distance running and race walking in the United States. USATF encompasses the world's oldest organized sports, some of the most-watched events of Olympic broadcasts, the #1 high school and junior high school participatory sport and more than 30 million adult runners in the United States.

For more information on USATF, visit www.usatf.org

No comments: