Saturday, August 11, 2012

Bryshon Nellum selected as Closing Ceremony flag bearer for 2012 U.S. Olympic Team

Bryshon Nellum selected as Closing Ceremony

flag bearer for 2012 U.S. Olympic Team

LONDON - Track & field athlete Bryshon Nellum was today selected to lead the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team into Sunday's (Aug. 12) Closing Ceremony as flag bearer, as announced today by the United States Olympic Committee. Nellum was chosen by a vote of fellow members of Team USA.

Nellum, a 400-meter track athlete, was told by doctors in 2008 that he would never run again at a world-class level. Through perseverance and dedication, Nellum returned to training full-time in 2012 and finished third in the 400 at the U.S. Olympic Trials in a personal-best 44.80 seconds to earn a berth on the U.S. Olympic Team.

"I'm humbled by this incredible privilege," said Nellum. "Four years ago I wasn't sure I'd ever run again, and now I'm leading Team USA into the Closing Ceremony of the Olympic Games. I'm so grateful for the incredible support of my friends and family and I'll never forget these Games."

"I'd like to congratulate Bryshon on this tremendous honor," said USOC CEO Scott Blackmun. "His courage embodies the Olympic spirit and he'll represent our team well on Sunday night."






No comments: