Sunday, January 25, 2009

OSU’s German Fernandez Sets Junior World Record

OSU’s German Fernandez Sets Junior World Record
Courtesy: okstate.com
Release: 01/24/2009

German Fernandez

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Oklahoma State freshman German Fernandez, running in the first indoor meet of his career, as well as his first meet back after injuring his leg at the NCAA Cross Country Championships, set a junior world record in the indoor mile run with a remarkable time of 3:56.50 Saturday at the Razorback Invitational at the University of Arkansas.

"He looked like a million bucks - looked smooth as ever," coach Dave Smith said. "He ran a really smart, intelligent race. He sat back and just waited until about 400 to go and put a move on the guy who was leading (last year's 1,500-meter NCAA runner-up Dorian Ulrey of Arkansas, who competed for Northern Iowa a year ago). He just blew by him and looked like a million bucks. It was unbelievable."



Fernandez's time surpassed the previous mark of 3:59.6, held by Jim Ryun since Feb. 26, 1966. It was also enough for the automatic qualifying mark for the NCAA meet, a new Oklahoma State school record and a first-place finish at the event.



"We just went out there to have fun," Fernandez said. "That was my first indoor meet ever, so I really didn’t know what to expect. I feel pretty good. I just wanted to go out and run a good time and run conservatively and run smart and it went my way. I didn’t expect to break the record at all. That's the best time I've run in my life. I couldn’t believe it at first."

Keith Conning: German Fernandez (Riverbank High School 2008)

No comments: