Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tahoe Rim Trail --Echo Lakes to Lake Aloha

by Keith Conning

In the mid-1970's I took my young family camping at the Berkeley Camp between Echo Summit (7,300 feet above sea level) on U.S. 50 and Echo Lake. One morning before breakfast I ran from the camp to Lake Aloha and back before breakfast. The roundtrip distance from Echo Lake to Lake Aloha is 12.5 miles. The elevation varies from 7,225 to 8,540 feet. This was an all-day hike for campers. They were amazed that I was able to run it all before breakfast. I was getting ready for the 7-man relay around Lake Tahoe. I put together a high school team made up of runners from Berkeley, De Anza, El Cerrito, and Pinole Valley. We participated in this relay in both 1974 and 1975.

I am still in contact with two of the runners: Jeff Zimmerman, who spots for me at the North Coast Section Meet of Champions, and Bob Marr, a winemaker and the owner of Marr Cellars in Davis.

Alex Da Silva of El Cerrito High School, a member of the team who was born in Brazil, went on to become a world famous salsa dancer.

There is a story about this run in today's Sacramento Bee.
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/08/26/2982659/great-treks-say-hello-to-lake.html

No comments: