Sunday, February 12, 2012

Camarena-Williams, Rupp set ARs; 5 world leaders turned in at USATF Classic

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Jillian Camarena-Williams (Woodland HS, CA 2000; Stanford 2004) and Galen Rupp set American records as five world-leading marks – including one in each round of the women’s 60 meters – were posted at Saturday’s USA Track & Field Classic.

The third stop of USATF’s 2012 Indoor Visa Championship Series, the USA Track & Field Classic will be broadcast from 12:30-2:30 p.m. Eastern Time Sunday on ESPN2.

JCW, Rupp roll
In the very first event of the night, Camarena-Williams picked up where she left off in 2011, breaking her own American record in the women’s shot put with her toss of 19.89m/65-3.75. USA Outdoor champion Michelle Carter was second with 19.09m/62-7.75. Defending U.S. indoor champion Ryan Whiting won the men’s shot with a mark of 21.43m/70-3.75, second-farthest throw in the world this year.

Rupp’s performance came near the end of the evening. In his first attempt at the distance, Rupp eyed Bernard Lagat’s 2-mile American mark of 8:10.07, set in 2011. Saturday night in Fayetteville, Rupp ran a well-paced race, striding behind pacemaker Craig Miller for nine laps. The final 1,400 meters were a solo effort, and a 28.86 last lap propelled Rupp to a record time of 8:09.72.(Lagat on Saturday broke Rupp's 5,000m American record, running 13:07.15 at the Millrose Games.)

Scorching Hollister Mile
The Geoff Hollister men’s mile lived up to the excellence of the race’s namesake, with six men running under the 2012 world-leading time. World Outdoor silver medalist Silas Kiplagat chalked up his second win in the 2012 Indoor Visa Championship Series, edging out Kenyan countryman Caleb Ndiku with a time of 3:52.63. Ndiku was just a whisker behind in 3:52.66, followed by Daniel Kipchirchir Komen (3:53.93), American Russell Brown (Stanford 2008) (3:54.08), Amine Laalou of Morocco (3:54.49) and New Balance Indoor Grand Prix winner Ciaran O’Lionard of Ireland (3:54.76). All six eclipsed the previous 2012 world-leading time of 3:55.09. Jeff See (3:55.79) and Leo Manzano (3:57.92) brought the full field in under 3:58.

In the first running event on the track, World Outdoor champion Kirani James won the men’s 400 in 45.19 to post a 2012 world-leading mark, with Calvin Smith second in 45.73.

Tianna Madison ran a world leader in the first round of the 60 meters with her personal-best time of 7.05, while Allyson Felix (Los Angeles Baptis HS, North Hills, CA 2003; USC 2008 dnc)ran a personal-best time of 7.10 in taking second in heat 2. In the final, Madison improved upon her own world leader, winning in 7.02 to defeat defending world champion Veronica Campbell-Brown (7.08) and Christine Ahoure of the Ivory Coast (7.09)

In the men’s 60 meters, Lerone Clarke of Jamaica ran a world-leading time of 6.52, followed by Justin Gatlin in second and Trell Kimmons in third, both in 6.57.

U.S. Open winner Brenda Martinez (Rancho Cucamonga 2005; UC Riverside 2010)had a lead of close to 10 meters in the women’s 1,500m but was kicked down in the last lap as Siham Hilali (4:09.36) and Btissam Lakhouad (4:09.72) of Morocco overcome her to finish first and second. Martinez was third in 4:09.96, just off her outdoor personal best of 4:09.52.

Ginnie Crawford (USC 2006)got out to a fast start in the women’s 60m hurdles, holding off Olympic gold medalist Dawn Harper’s (UCLA 2006)strong finish. Crawford clocked 7.97 to Harper’s 8.03.

2011 USA indoor and outdoor champion Janay DeLoach topped a great field in the women’s long jump with a best jump of 6.83m/22-5. Bianca Stuart was second at 6.79m/22-3.5, with reigning world indoor and outdoor gold medalist Brittney Reese third with 6.65/21-10.

For more on the Visa Championship Series, including links to results, visit www.visachampionshipseries.com.

Athlete Quotes, USA Track & Field Classic

Jillian Camarena-Williams, women’s shot put - "I didn't feel that great to be honest. I had changed up my training and was wanting to see what worked. I've been throwing well and wanted to just get in the ring and compete. I'm still working on a lot of things and I'm still trying to tweak my technique. I'm very happy with today. Something like this motivates me to keep working hard and I'm looking forward to the next five to six months and see where I'm at."

Ryan Whiting, men’s shot put – “It was pretty good. I fouled on the first throw, and I got a little out of rhythm. I had two season bests tonight. It was my fifth best indoor meet. My PR is from the 2008 NCAA Championships, so I’ve thrown well here before.”
Kirani James, men’s 400 - "I had a great run. Today was a positive day for me. Only good things come out of a day like today. My main motivation right now is to stay healthy and stay focused on each race one at a time. Now I move on to Orlando and go from there, but I'm very happy with today."

Siham Hilali, women’s 1,500 - "The race was good for me. My body felt good and with this being my first competition here, I couldn't be more happy with how I ran on this track."

Silas Kiplagat, Geoff Hollister men’s mile - "It was a very fast race all around. I'm definitely happy with where I am at with still plenty of time to improve before this summer. I felt good coming into this race and this is the most experienced I've been where I know what to expect. Now I’ll be able to take this as I move forward and try to improve my time even more."

Ginnie Powell, women’s 60m hurdles - "Getting here late and dealing with a lot of travel issues, I didn't really have much time to prepare other than just go out and run. I just wanted to concentrate on the race and it worked out for me. Practices have been going good, and I'm starting to find my rhythm. I don't do indoors very often, but I'm surprised how fast I am this early in the year. I'll take a time under 8 (seconds), no problem."

Janay DeLoach, women’s long jump - "I was feeling good all the way up to the competition. My goal was to stay at my previous long, so I can't complain. I've still got a ways to go in the next few months. I've got some work left to do, but luckily I still have plenty of time to get an even bigger mark."

Galen Rupp, men’s 2 mile – "It was a great race. Any day you brake a record is a great day. I didn't feel good the last few days, so I was just going to go out and do my best. I wanted to keep pushing on those last laps. I knew I would probably be by myself on those last laps. I just didn't want to take my foot off the gas and not let up. I was ready for it and just went out and did what I wanted to do."

Lerone Clarke, men’s 60m - Ive been training hard. I've been practicing to execute. I did it in the Perkins and went back and did it in the finals. I went out there got out of the blocks and ran hard.

Tiana Madison, women’s 60m - "It always feels good to win, bit that wasn't the focus. The focus was on nationals and getting better for that meet. I felt really good coming in. The point today was to stay in your lane and run the race. That's it. I'm completely pleased with the weekend."

About USA Track & Field

USA Track & Field (USATF) is the National Governing Body for track & field, long-distance running and race walking in the United States. USATF encompasses the world's oldest organized sports, the World's #1 Track & Field Team, the most-watched events at the Olympics, the #1 high school and junior high school participatory sport, and more than 30 million adult runners in the United States: www.usatf.org.





Click here to forward this mailing with your personal message.

This email was sent to: keithconning@aol.com
This email was sent by: USA Track & Field
132 East Washington Street, Suite 800, Indianapolis, IN 46204

No comments: