Monday, August 24, 2015

Day Three Evening Session Quotes - IAAF World Championships

 

8/24/2015
 
Men’s Javelin Throw - Qualification
Sam Crouser
It was a pretty tough day, all in all. I wish I could’ve started on the last one and worked from there. It is what it is. Its a different atmosphere the way we have to warm up and then sit there for a while. My knee got a little tight. It is what it is. Now I kind of know what to expect for next time.
 
Men’s Pole Vault - Final
Sam Kendricks
“I hate to see it, but I kind of neglected my recovery the past two days. I was on the smallest poles I’ve been on all year. I was trying to work with tools that weren’t necessarily up for the job. But we made a good attempt at it. And even though I know I can jump 5.80, it was not in my today. I will be there in the future. Trust me.”
 
Women’s 400-Meter Hurdles - Semifinals
Cassandra Tate
“The beginning of my race was a little shaky. I hit a few hurdles, but I was able to come through after hurdle 8 and take control of the race. Making this final means a lot to me. Wearing “United States” across my chest in my first final in the 400 hurdles, this is going to be exciting. I’m ready.”
 
Shamier Little
“It’s just scary. Thinking about it just makes me emotional. I’m glad I made it through, but I have to do better. I definitely, definitely have to do better and show them that I definitely deserve to be there. I’m going to give it my all.”
 
Kori Carter (Claremont HS 2010; Stanford 2013)
“Bobby told me I just needed to take it out for the first 150, so I just tried to get out of the blocks like a bat out of hell and it sort of backfired on me. I came into hurdle two just off balance because I was alternating, then going into hurdle 3 it just appeared out of nowhere and I just slammed into it. So that was tough. We’ve got some girls in the final. USA will still be represented well.”
 
Women’s 100 Meters - Semifinals
Jasmine Todd
“Everything felt fine, it’s just been a long season. It’s probably just starting to hit me now. Other than that, my body felt great. It’s just how it ended.”
 
“I think my start was a lot better. I think I was in it. I think I could’ve continued fighting a bit more. But, at the end of the day, I was out here for the experience. It’s really great to be out here.”
 
Men’s 400 Meters - Semifinals
David Verburg
“I don’t think I got out well like I should’ve. I wasn’t as relaxed I was yesterday, so I didn’t execute my race as well as I wanted to. I got third in a great heat. It’s not what I wanted, but I’m blessed to be here.”
 
Vernon Norwood
“I got out pretty hard and tried to execute the race. And I just tried to leave it all out there for my country and myself. My finish was good, I think. I think I should have just relaxed a little more coming home.”
 
Bryshon Nellum (Polytechnic HS, Long Beach 2007; USC 2013)
Coming home, it was a little tough. I just couldn’t get the finish. My hamstrings were locking up a little bit. I felt fatigued from yesterday, but at least I was able to get a personal best. I came and got at least one of my goals so far.”
 
LaShawn Merritt
“I ran it a little different than I did yesterday. My coach wanted to do something a little different. I’m sticking to what I know. There’s a final coming up. I’ve been doing this for 10 years. I’ll recover, study a little bit and get ready to handle business on Wednesday.”
 
Women’s 10,000 Meters - Final
Shalane Flanagan
“It was a pretty modest pace, I knew it would be fast at the end. With two laps to go, I literally got chills thinking there’s three Americans right here that could medal. I just thought this is a phenomenal position to be in. I don’t think I believed as much in myself and my ability to close. I wish I had a little bit more faith in myself. I think I was just feeling sorry for myself. I’m proud of 6th tonight. Most importantly, three Americans in the top six tonight is a phenomenal performance. My coach told us that we were capable of things like that tonight.”
 
Molly Huddle
“I thought it was be more of a two mile or mile race. It came down to the last lap and I thought everyone is in it, everyone. I knew I couldn’t blow it in the first 200 like I’ve done before. I was waiting for people to come on my shoulder and the two passed me and I thought just defend your position. In that last half step, I just let up too much. Emily was right there the whole time with just more momentum.  She got that bronze. It’s going to take a long time to get over. I feel like that race was an opportunity for someone to medal. We’ll probably not get that chance again. It was just so slow. I just didn’t want to mess up on the last lap and I did. I don’t know when that chance will come again.”
 
Emily Infeld
“I honestly have no idea. I was just to run through the line and give it everything I had. I feel like the last lap I felt really good and I just want to hang with it. I feel like i can medal. I just ran through the line. I feel a little guilty because I feel like Molly let up a little. I don’t think she realized how close I was. I was just trying to run through the line. I’m really thrilled.”
 
Men’s 3,000-Meter Steeplechase - Final
Donn Cabral
“I’m pretty disappointed in the race. This is probably the least I’ve managed to show up when it counts. Its the most I’ve underperformed in a big race in a long time. That said, I’m not going to hang my head for too long about it. I think I had a great season. Hopefully there’s a few more good ones to come. But the race is pretty easy out front through the first half or so. I took the lead and kept it easy, it was alright.”
 
Daniel Huling
“The race plan with Jerry was to race for sixth or seventh. Racing for a medal was probably outside of my talent level, my fitness level obviously. So I wanted to run for sixth to seventh and if I did that and it gave me the opportunity to pick off someone, unfortunately, like Evan. I’m really gutted for him, I really wanted for him to get a medal. He probably spent a lot more energy to try and get a medal today. He probably had a better race than me.”
 
Evan Jager
“I wasn’t trying to do one definite mindset of how things were going to go. I definitely had a plan for the race, but I wasn’t expecting to go only one way.”
 
“Those guys are so freaking tough over the last lap, running extremely fast over barriers. It’s something that I haven’t figured out yet, I’m working on my entire career how to handle that. It’s definitely different than having a fast last lap in the flat race. It’s just a different element to it. There’s a reason why the Kenyans have won every single steeple World Championships they’ve competed in the last 12-13 years. So it’s really tough. I have to figure out something for myself.  I’ll go back to the drawing board.”



Tori Bowie, 200m bronze medalist

"So I come into finals tonight and from the beginning, things didn’t go right. Setting my blocks, I cut my finger. It was a disaster. Blood was dripping everywhere. I felt like tonight I just didn’t put myself in a good position in the blocks. I felt a little rushed tonight. I didn’t put myself into position, so I didn’t execute well. But I feel like overall I did a great job.  Never panicked during the race. I tried to keep my composure the entire time and just focus on my lane. Very, very thankful, considering this is my first World Championship team. I kind of know what to expect for next year. Next year is a big year; It’s an Olympic year."



"I knew it was going to be close at the very end, and I feel like I kind of started leaning way too early than I needed to. But some type of way, it still end up working well."

No comments: