Sunday, August 30, 2015

Day Nine Evening Session Quotes - IAAF World Championships

 

8/30/2015
 
Women’s Javelin - Final
Brittany Borman
“I felt pretty technically sound today, but it just wasn’t there. I gave it everything I had, it just wasn’t there.”
 
Kara Winger
“I didn't execute today. However, I know that I did the best I could on the day, and I'm thrilled to be in the top 8. I felt strong. I felt connected to the javelin. I just didn't put that connection in the right direction, but I had a great time and that's what I wanted to do.”
 
“I'm really thrilled to be a part of this women's group of throwers at this World Championships. It's been really fun. Last Summer all four American record holders were on the Continental Cup Team, and this year all four were on this team, so it's really cool to not only be a team member with those girls but to be with four other girls who have made the final.”
 
“I'm excited about the future. The season has been really busy and really successful, but it's also been pretty long.”
 
Men’s High Jump Final
Erik Kynard
“It went terribly. I performed the way I felt. I didn’t feel good and I didn’t perform good. Right now I feel like I’m going in the wrong direction. I’ve had an up and down season. The event as a whole has been up and down for me. I felt okay, but technically I was mediocre. In a technical event, you can’t be mediocre. It doesn’t matter how good your body feels. It’s just like the hurdles, you hit one, you hit two it doesn’t matter. Today I felt strong, fit, fast. I was having trouble figuring out the runway a little bit. But when you’re mediocre technically in a technical event, you won’t have the finish that you came to have.”
 
Women’s 5,000 Meters - Final
Nicole Tully
“I was so thrilled to make it to the final that was the goal coming in. It was a tough prelim, I was able to recover well and regroup. I came into this 15th, I came into it looking to improve on that. I was looking for a top 10 finish. THe race was kind of strange because we didn’t get off the line that quick. All of a sudden it sped up and we separated big time. I stayed in the pack, but I should have be in just clicking off just under five-minute miles, I was hoping it would have felt a little bit smoother through the two-mile mark, but that wasn’t quite the case. I was just trying to keep it together and have a good last lap. I was able to move up a little bit but not as much as I wanted to.
 
Men’s 1500 Meters - Final
Robby Andrews
I think once I get a little more comfortable running that many days in a row, I’ll feel much more comfortable with it next year. It’s just too much for me right now.
 
I was happy with my plan, I hugged the inside the whole way, there’s no excuse.I just didn’t have it today.
 
Leo Manzano
“It was a bit harder today than I thought. I felt really good going into it. The body didn’t quite respond the way I wanted it to. The mind was there, but the body wasn’t.
 
“The first 800 was fine, but I thought I was just going to gear up like I did two days ago. Unfortunately it didn’t quite pan out like that. Sometimes it just clicks in place, and today didn’t quite fit in there.”
 
Matthew Centrowitz
“That was just hard. I put myself in a good position in the first of the race. With about 300 to go is when Nick Willis made a good move again and at that point I was already and couldn’t respond. One guy goes by you, then another and another. Its a little demoralizing. In your head you keep fighting and hope people start coming back because at that point, like I said, I was all out.”
 
“That was my best effort. I was ready to go. No excuses. That field was a quality, world class field, it was probably one of the best that I’ve faced since I’ve been at a world championships. I’m hurting right now. I’m really tired, just exhausted from the last four days.”
 
Women’s 4x400 Relay - Final
Sanya Richards-Ross
“It was a tough run tonight. I really wanted to go out hard and get the team a lead, but struggled down the last 100. I think I gave my team too much work to do tonight.”
 
Natasha Hastings
“It was hard to tell where I was until the cut in. I just wanted to run my race. It was kind of hard not to get too excited seeing her out there in the lead. I just wanted to, if not get the lead, at least in striking distance. I knew that Fran and Allyson would do a great job behind me. I just wanted to do my best and bring it in as close as possible.”
 
Allyson Felix
“I just wanted to run as hard as you can for the team. We’re all out there together. This one hurt a lot. We have so much history and legacy in the 4x4. It’s hard to lose this one, but it’s motivation for next year and to come back stronger.”
 
Francena McCorory
“It’s tough. We didn’t want to lose. It just gives us more motivation for next year. I was just trying to run as fast as I could to the finish.”
 
Men’s 4x400 relay
David Verburg
“First leg is my leg. I love running first.My goal was just to set my team up well. But at the end of the day, it’s like there are four guys with one mission and my goal was just to set it up well. Everyone ran their hardest; everyone did their jobs, and that’s how we keep winning the 4x4.”
 
“Each gold medal tastes a little bit better than the last one. Each one has a different story behind it. So to finish the (World Championships) with a gold medal is a great feeling.”
 
Tony McQuay
“I think things went well today. It was a very competitive race The goal was just to get out, maintain and control the race. I felt like I did that. Like I said, it was tightly contested. It was just about getting the stick around and being patient and finishing the mission.”
 
“Gold medals always feel great , especially when you do it in style.”
 
Bryshon Nellum
“My main goal was to keep the race as close as possible. I think I gave the baton off in second place, but for LaShawn, I just wanted to make sure we were still in the mix-still in the race. I think I ran a pretty good leg, starting off with David (Verburg). Tony (McQuay) gave me the motivation to keep going. I gave it to LaShawn and let him finish it off.”
 
“It feels great. This actually is my first gold medal at a major championships. I think my last medal was in 2012, when we won the silver but we won’t talk about that. I’m going to enjoy the moment now.”
 
LaShawn Merritt
“I got the baton in second place but not too far back, so I wanted to control the race but I didn’t even know the guy from Jamaica was on the anchor leg. I was so in the zone and focused on my people, but that’s the way he runs his race.  If anything, it just made it exciting for the crowd.”
 
“I wasn’t really fazed. I picked it up a little bit because he was running hard and then he was still running hard. I just shifted a gear. It wasn’t the first time I’ve been on a relay where someone tried to take it out or was in the front, so I just kept my cool, kept calm and made the move when I knew I had to. I felt strong all the way up until 300 meters, and I started lifting and closed it – closed the show.”
 
“It feels good, especially for this to be the last event and the only men’s track event gold for the U.S., so it feels good and we’re excited about it and we’re looking forward to Rio for next year.”
 


Christa Mann
Marketing & Communications Manager
USA Track & Field
317.713.4672
e-mail

No comments: