Thursday, November 19, 2015

Oregon State signs five for 2016-17


Five standouts sign for 2016-17

Photo By: Pac-12 Conference   11-19-2015

Related Links

Beavers sign five for 2016-17
11/19/2015
Oregon State Athletic Communications
Corvallis, Ore. – The Oregon State cross country and track and field programs have signed five student-athletes to national letters of intent for the 2016-17 season, coach Kelly Sullivan announced Thursday.
The newest members of the programs are:
·        Brooke Chuhlantseff of West Salem High School in Salem, Ore.
·        Sara Christianson of Borah High School in Boise.
·        Emily Mackay of Union-Endicott High School in Endicott, N.Y.
·        Lexi Reed of D ‘Evelyn High School in Denver.
·        Mikayla Sodersten of Clovis High School in Fresno.
“We’ve added five very talented young ladies who each were highly recruited nationally,” Sullivan said. “All five are natural leaders and outstanding students who will have an immediate impact on our cross country and track and field programs.
“They are super-talented and highly-competitive and will fit in greatly with our current teams. I must give a lot of credit to our current team and to faculty and staff members who did a tremendous job of presenting what OSU, the Corvallis community and our athletic department has to offer.
“In the end those were the key factors for each of them and their families,” in choosing OSU over other schools, Sullivan said. “We can all be proud of that.”
Chuhlantseff was a three-time Greater Valley Conference champion in cross country and five-time district champion in track and field. She is a projected kinesiology major.
“I felt like it was the perfect fit for me,” Chuhlantseff said of OSU. “I felt so comfortable when I was on my visit.
“I love the coach. I love the team. I love the school. I love the city. I love everything about it. I think it's a perfect fit for me.”
She has PRs of 2:14 in the 800, 4:42 in the 1,500 and 10:08 in the 3,000. She also placed fourth at the 2014 state 6A cross country meet and took 15th in 2015.
Reed took third place in the Colorado state cross country meet for the second year in row in 2015 after placing sixth as a sophomore. She was first-team all-league, the league MVP, the league and regional champion, and all-state as a sophomore, junior and senior. She is also the school record-holder.
In track, she was first-team all-league as a sophomore and junior, the league MVP as a junior, and holds the school records in the 800 (2:14), 1,600 (4:53) and 3,200 (10:53). She also plays point guard for the basketball team and was all-league and honorable-mention all-state as a junior, and is a co-captain.
She hopes to study kinesiology at OSU.
“I chose Oregon State because when I went on my visit, everyone was so welcoming and nice,” she said. “Coach Kelly is a really nice guy and he cares so much about every individual athlete.”
Mackay also hopes to major in kinesiology. She has PRs of 4:25 in the 1,500 and 10:02 in the 3,000, and finished seventh and second, respectively, at the New York State Class B cross country meets the past two years. She also qualified for the Nike nationals in 2014.
She is a three-year placer at the state track meet. She placed fifth in 1,500 as a sophomore and second as a junior, with one of the top times in the country. She was also the Section IV Sportsmanship Award-winner as a junior for track, and as a senior for cross country.
“I chose OSU because it feels like the best fit for me,” she said. “When I was there, I instantly fell in love with campus. Being there, and talking to coach Sullivan, made me so excited for what’s to come in my collegiate years.
“The team made me feel very welcome and I have no doubt I will fit in well. I’m blessed to be given the opportunity to continue my running career at Oregon State [and] I can't wait to be a Beaver!”
Christianson is a four-year competitor in cross country and track at Borah. She specializes in the 5K in cross country, and the 1600- and 3200-meter races in track. She sometimes adds the 800 m and the distance relays to help her team.
“The highlights of my career so far have been placing fifth at the state cross country meet as a junior, breaking five minutes (4:58.66) in the 1600 only a handful of girls have gone sub-five in Idaho and placing second in the 1600 and 3200 at the state meet my junior season.
“In that same meet, I set another goal of mine, which was to break 11 minutes in the 3200, by running 10:56.08,” and placing second. She also took second in the mile in 4:57.
She said OSU felt like “home” the minute she stepped on campus. She is a prospective psychology/social science or business major.
“Visiting with the staff and seeing their passion for the university and their genuine interest in me as an individual meant a lot to me,” she said. “They were very excited about what OSU has to offer, academically and athletically, now and in the future.
“Kelly Sullivan knows what he’s doing.  He has a love for the sport and a love for coaching.  He knows where the program is headed and has the drive to get there. He’s someone who I want to work hard for and who I can see myself working even harder for.
“We have really formed a natural connection I feel is very important for athletes and their coaches.  It's something I have been fortunate to have in high school and something I was hoping to find at the next level.  I am proud to say, Oregon State is the place for me both academically and athletically.”
Sodersten plans to major in product design, and hopes to intern and then work for a global apparel company.
“The reason I chose Oregon State was the team, and the school felt like a family to me as did coach Kelly,” she said.
She placed seventh at the 2015 California state track meet in the 3,200-meters with a time of 10:24, the 26th-best time in the nation last year. She also set school records in the 800 (2:14.65), the 1,600 (4:54.58) and the 3,200 (10:24.37) as a junior and broke two course records in cross country and two meet records in track.
For more information on the Oregon State cross country team, follow the team by Facebook at Facebook.com/OSUTrackCrossCountry or on Twitter at twitter.com/@beavers_track.
 

No comments: